Interdependency / Quote from Henri Nouwen

Holding HandsImage by WolfS♡ul via Flickr
As I've been reflecting on our construction process at Girdwood Chapel, it's been frustrating that we're always WAITING ON SOMEONE.  It was the timber-makers in Seattle.  Then it was someone to put in the water.  Then it was doors.  And now it's sheet metal workers to get our heat in. And, of course, this doesn't even take into account all of the waiting for money.

We NEED so many other people.  It's frustrating.  Interdependency can be a big ol' pain in rumpus.  It's enough to make me look longingly at Simon and Garfunkel's "I am a Rock" song:

I've built walls,
A fortress deep and mighty,
That none may penetrate.
I have no need of friendship; friendship causes pain.
It's laughter and it's loving I disdain.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

The following quote is from Henri Nouwen from Walk with Jesus and came to me by way of Dash House.  It's probably something I need when I feel like things would just be better if I could take care of it all myself.

I feel within me a strong desire to live life on my own. In fact, my society praises the self-made people who are in control of their destinies, set their own goals, fulfill their own aspirations, and build their own kingdoms. It is very hard for me to truly believe that spiritual maturity is a willingness to let others guide me…

And still, every time I am willing to break out of my false needs for self-sufficiency and dare to ask for help, a new community emerges – a fellowship of the weak – strong in the trust that together we can be a people of hope in a broken world…To receive help, support, guidance, affections, and care may well be a greater call than that of giving all these things because in receiving I reveal the gift to the givers and a new life together can begin.

Take a deep breath.  Recognize that what we have is A FELLOWSHIP OF THE WEAK.
Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments