Utah Attorney General Announces An Execution through Twitter!


Ummm...  Ewww

I saw over at Mashable that Utah Attorney General Mark Shurtleff sent out a highly unnecessary tweet.  Earlier today a Utah firing squaud executed a convicted killer by the name of Ronnie Lee Gardner.  In the above tweet, Shurtleff announced the execution.  In an earlier tweet, he wrote: “A solemn day. Barring a stay by Sup Ct, & with my final nod, Utah will use most extreme power & execute a killer. Mourn his victims. Justice.”

I can't say I've done "a lot" of funerals, but I've done my fair share...particularly during my time in Indiana.  With all the emotions that go on at a time of death, I can't imagine summarizing in this fashion.  There's no place for emotion.  There's no place to talk about, really, life or death.

Whatever Mr. Gardner may have done, there is something about a 140-character message that seems inappropriate as a medium for the announcement.

I would hope this is the last time we'll hear of this happening.

0 comments