Why Blog?

Writing samples: Parker 75Image by churl via Flickr

I'm amazed at the amount of things I've written about and the number of items (some of them more random than others) that I've posted over the last several months.  I'm enjoying this process and am trying to figure out what it is that I'm doing here.  With so many things on my to-do lists, what is the purpose of trying to take some time each day to make sure something goes up on this blog...something that I want to say to the church?  Some of it's personal.  Some of it impersonal.  Some I'm not so sure about.

And, frankly, there are so many other posts that sit as "drafts" in my head.  There are so many things that I've read and that have spoken to me in a particular way and I think they are worth sharing.  But there's no time for everything.

Why?

I confess to being no Stanley Hauerwas, ethicist at Duke Divinity School.   But, I was greatly influenced by him and his thought during those wonderfully rewarding years at seminary.  I found the following quotes of his over at Reclaiming the Mission, a blog by David Fitch.  Perhaps these get at some of the things that are going on in me through this blog...
“Writing is hard and difficult work because to write is to think. I do not have an idea and then find a way to express it. The expression is the idea. So I write because writing is the only way I know how to think.” 
“I write, moreover, because I have something to say.  That I have something to say is not a personal achievement. I have something to say because I am a Christian." 
I want to say that these ring true for myself as I reflect upon the meaning of what's taking place here.  Yet, I also want to say that I struggle with making sure this I don't think of this endeavor as more or less important than it really is.

I understand that this is a season in my life.  I don't have plans to have a blog around for the next ten years and I'm darned sure I'm going to find times that I can't be near this faithful in my updates.
But, for now this is what I'm doing.
Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments