Heaven, Hell, and My Mom

Rosa Celeste: Dante and Beatrice gaze upon the...Image via Wikipedia



That whole "Rob Bell Discussion" that's been going on here, there and everywhere has a lot of good discussion points about it. Universalism. Grace. Judgment. Christian discourse. Who's in hell? Who's in heaven? Who can be saved? What's God's will? What does the Scripture say?

I know my mom reads this blog (my most loyal reader, I'm sure) but I don't know if she was aware that the forwarded email letter she sent to me yesterday touches on the issues surrounding this debate. The email said it was the BEST POEM IN THE WORLD. I don't know if that's the case. However, it does ring with the words I often say, "When I get to heaven, I'm pretty sure I'll be surprised by all the people God let in that I might have kept out."  My understanding of God is that he'll be more gracious than I'd ever be...and I generally consider myself a pretty gracious person.

Here's the poem. There was no attribution when it came to me.


I was shocked, confused, bewildered
As I entered Heaven's door,
Not by the beauty of it all,
Nor the lights or its decor.

But it was the folks in Heaven
Who made me sputter and gasp--
The thieves, the liars, the sinners,
The alcoholics and the trash.

There stood the kid from seventh grade
Who swiped my lunch money twice.
Next to him was my old neighbor
Who never said anything nice.

Bob, who I always thought
Was rotting away in hell,
Was sitting pretty on cloud nine,
Looking incredibly well.

I nudged Jesus, 'What's the deal?
I would love to hear Your take.
How'd all these sinners get up here?
God must've made a mistake.

'And why is everyone so quiet,
So somber - give me a clue.'
'Hush, child,' He said,
'they're all in shock.
No one thought they'd be seeing you.'

Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments