What a Horrible Feeling--Adventures in Parenting

Current "blue crescent" logo (July 1...Image via Wikipedia
On our way up to Chicago tonight one of our three year olds REALLY had to go potty and so we made an unscheduled, yet very necessary stop.  While the last 20 minutes before the stop were horrible, with lots of whining from the car seat, that is not the "horrible feeling" to which I'm referring.

We got to an exit with bathrooms, stopping at Burger King.  We rushed Junior Twin #1 to the bathroom.  I was making my way in with Junior Twin #2 when she darted in front of me and her little, three year old foot caught the front of my foot.

Here's where the horrible feeling comes in.

As soon as she hit my foot, that little body of hers dropped...fast.  She was like a tree (a little one) falling over.  And it happened so fast that she didn't have time to brace herself.  Her head, clearly, smashed into the cement sidewalk.  I dropped the garbage I had in one hand and the keys I had in the other and started to pick her up.

It all happened so hard and fast that I was sure that I would pick her up and see teeth broken or a bloody nose or a gash or...I don't know.   I just knew she hit hard and that it was MY foot that she tripped on.  It turns out that she hit her forehead and has quite a goose egg tonight.  But I was sure it was going to be much, much worse than this.

As with all head traumas, we watched her for a while and made sure she didn't fall asleep until she had behaved normally for about 4 hours. 

She'll be OK.

But it's a horrible feeling to see your kids get hurt.

We're just thankful that it wasn't as bad as feared.

Sometimes being a parent is quite the adventure.
Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments